Obtain a nationally recognized certification in custodial work
Goodwill of the Berkshires and Southern Vermont, Inc. offers an OSHA recognized custodial program which, when completed, provides participants with a two-year certificate from the nationally recognized Cleaning Management Institute, a two-year CPR/First Aid/Automatic External Defibrillator certification, a one-year Bloodborne Pathogen certificate, and a Goodwill Certificate in our Employment Readiness program. Each participant also receives assistance in completing a resume and applying for three jobs online.
This is a two-week program, held three days a week for four hours each day. The program covers the six major components of a custodial position, including:
- Customer Service: An essential skill for a custodian, as well as on a personal level.
- The Chemistry of Cleaning: Learn the proper way to mix and use chemicals safely and understand the differences between sanitizing, disinfecting, and sterilizing items and surfaces.
- Basic Above Floor Cleaning: Learn the proper way to clean anything above floor in a safe and efficient manner.
- Basic Hard Floor Care: Learn the best cleaning procedures to clean tile and the different types of wood floors without causing damage to them.
- Basic Cleaning of Carpeted Surfaces: Learn the best cleaning techniques to clean carpets, stain removal and shampooing methods.
- Basic Cleaning of Restrooms: Dirty restrooms containing bacteria and viruses are a leading cause of lost work time and lost productivity. Learn the best practices to prevent cross contamination of pathogens from restrooms to keep you and your community healthy.
What is the importance of certification for the job applicant?
Certification is required in almost every industry for a reason: It helps you to advance in the profession you have chosen.
- Certification can help prove your value as a potential employee, and motivate employers to utilize your skills and knowledge
- If you already have a position and you continue your education with certification programs, it gives you better chances of advancement in the company which could lead to better pay
- It could give you the competitive edge you need when applying for a job
How does certificate training benefit the employer?
Taking classes that offer certifications gives employees a higher level of knowledge and training, which translates into:
- Fewer job related injuries
- Reduced absenteeism
- More productive employees
- Less asset damage
- Lower turnover rate
We look forward to helping you achieve your career goals. Please submit your contact info and what program you are interested in below. We'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thank you.